Fraser-Pryce too hot for uncle’s TV – Sprinter’s relative television set breaks amid excitement

Fraser-Pryce too hot for uncle’s TV – Sprinter’s relative television set breaks amid excitement

There was pandemonium in Waterhouse, St Andrew, last night after hometown heroine Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce claimed her fifth World Championships gold in the women’s 100m with a blistering 10.67s in Eugene, Oregon, USA.

“All me TV drop and bun up a while ago as the race about fi end,” said Fraser-Pryce’s uncle, Kirk Simpson, who had taken his device outside to watch the much-anticipated race with neighbours.

The 50-year-old said that as his niece galloped down the track he could only think about the sacrifices she made all season that has now ensured her a place in track and field’s history as one of the greatest ever sprinters.

“She trained very, very hard for this. All three times for the day she trained. She didn’t rest, sometimes me wonder how she do it, being a mother and all of that, but she told me that she needed it,” he said.

“She just wanted to prove to the world that she is the greatest ever, ever, ever dem a guh see. Now she no need fi prove nothing more, all proving over today,” Simpson added.

The writing was always on the wall after the eight-time Olympic medallist eased from about 50 meters out to a comfortable victory in the events semi-final heats. She was, however, facing stiff competition from compatriots Elaine Thompson Herah, the double-Olympic sprint champion and Shericka Jackson, who won the sprint double at the National Trials last month.

But in the end none of that mattered as the 35-year-old, affectionately called ‘Mommy Rocket’, showed why she has been Jamaica’s darling of sprinting since she made her mark on the international scene in 2008 at the Beijing Olympic Games.

“We elated, we are feeling overwhelmed. Another gold medal at the World Championships. Really, this one means a lot because coming from having a baby, and another Olympics last year, and this maybe her last World Championships, it means a lot. We are super excited and elated,” said Kemar Johnson, another of Fraser-Pryce’s relatives.

“We never expected any different though, I have watched her progress throughout the lead-up to the Championships. In training she was getting better and better, her finishing was improving rapidly and from she get that right it was only a matter of time for her to execute and bring home the gold. If you look, in the semi final, she eased up from around 40 meters,” Johnson said.

When our news team arrived in Waterhouse minutes after the race ended, residents of Ashoka Road, the street in which Fraser-Pryce grew up, were still very much in a celebratory mood.

“A fi wi gal that! Big to you Shelly… wi love yuh bad gone to bed, a you mek everybody look pon Waterhouse inna different light,” exclaimed one resident while banging two pot covers together.

Source link